Topic

Home 2 Forums Teach Hoops Forum Practice Planning Ideas for few players at practice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      CoachDavidP
      Participant

I have a practice and have been informed that 4 players who all play travel baseball together won’t be there and possibly one other. So of 9 players likely to only have 4, even 3 if one that wasn’t at today’s game doesn’t show. This is Rec ball, 6-7-8th graders.

What are some ideas as to how to schedule this practice and still keep it competitive and fun while getting significant work done. It is an hour and a half practice.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Admin bar avatarCoach Collins
      Keymaster

Hey Coach,
      I think a big thing is you have to be creative with the parents. When does practice/games occur for baseball and when do they happen in basketball?

dfree
      Participant

I have had this a few times in travel ball scenarios. The main thing I do is make sure I let them know we are there to get after it and get better. The practice plan turns into competitive drill work. Always having a winner. Adjust the drills based on your personnel. Example, if you have 2 post and 2 guards don’t do all 3 pt shooting, mix in Miken and block to block drills.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get our COACHING ROADMAP

and our NewsletterPlays, Drills, Much MORE.....

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

Basketball Coaching Roadmap

You have Successfully Subscribed!