Topic

Home 2 Forums Teach Hoops Forum Practice Planning Ideas for few players at practice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dfree 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

CoachDavidP
    Participant

I have a practice and have been informed that 4 players who all play travel baseball together won’t be there and possibly one other. So of 9 players likely to only have 4, even 3 if one that wasn’t at today’s game doesn’t show. This is Rec ball, 6-7-8th graders.

What are some ideas as to how to schedule this practice and still keep it competitive and fun while getting significant work done. It is an hour and a half practice.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Admin bar avatar
    Coach Collins
    Keymaster

Hey Coach,
    I think a big thing is you have to be creative with the parents. When does practice/games occur for baseball and when do they happen in basketball?

dfree
    Participant

I have had this a few times in travel ball scenarios. The main thing I do is make sure I let them know we are there to get after it and get better. The practice plan turns into competitive drill work. Always having a winner. Adjust the drills based on your personnel. Example, if you have 2 post and 2 guards don’t do all 3 pt shooting, mix in Miken and block to block drills.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.