Eating For Performance:Training
Fruits & Vegetables
• Eat 2 different colored vegetables AND 2 different colored fruits per day- Have > 5-6 servings from these groups per day.
• Eat a salad at least 4-5x/week. Added bonus – Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to boost healthy fat content
• Try 1 new vegetable or fruit every 2-3 weeks.
• Frozen vegetables/fruits are usually as high of quality as fresh ones & much cheaper
• Aim for 0.6-lg/lb/day
• Red meat and eggs (yolks) are HEALTHY
• Unless dairy allergies/intolerances are present or you have chosen a vegetarian lifestyle for personal reasons, select a whey protein powder post workout
• Aim for 0.3-0.5g/lb/day
• Realize that dietary fats DO NOT cause fat gain on their own
• Healthy sources include avocado, olive oil, peanuts/natural peanut butter, nuts (almonds, etc).
• Use Butter, NOT Margarine
• Avoid the following vegetable oils: Corn, Cottonseed, Soy
• Best Bets – Milk, Water
• Be mindful of fruit juices & Sport Drinks They can be sugar bombs. If consumed, try to make sure it’s 100% fruit juice & consume close to the workout time period. Sport Drinks (Gatorade,) often not needed
• Avoid – Soda; Really Avoid —Alcohol (impairs post exercise muscle recovery, dehydration issues, etc)
• Realize energy drinks (Monster, Red Bull, etc) =/= sport beverages (Gatorade, etc). Keep sport beverage consumption only around
Power Granola Bars
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup crushed walnuts
½ cup unpacked raisins (2 oz)
4 tbsp. whole fax seed
4 scoops vanilla whey
2 tbsp. honey
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup of maple syrup
1. In a large bowl combine the oats, walnuts, flax seeds, raisins and whey.
2. Add the honey, syrup, vanilla and salt. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed. At first, it will seem too dry, but continue stirring and it will blend.
3. Coat a clean, dry 8×8 inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, then press the mixture in the bottom of the dish. The mixture should extend to all corners evenly, and It should be about 1-inch thick. You can also use a smaller baking dish for thicker and chewier bar.
4. Bake at 350 degrees fro 10-12 minutes.